Why Community Radio as a Project of the Firehouse Cultural Center?
Community radio stations contribute to stronger communities by:
- Encouraging community dialogue and communication.
- Exploring and informing on topics, issues and concerns of interest and relevance to the local community
- Giving voice to members of the community
- Providing opportunity to actively participate in the media
Community radio responds to the community and can be of and by the community.
As a project of the Firehouse Cultural Center, WPHX can:
- Provide virtual and physical community space for sharing, learning, exploring
- Connect community organizations, services and opportunities to area people to promote an informed, engaged, connected—and entertained Southshore area
- Feature stories of area interest to preserve the important cultural history of our community, extending the Arts, Cultural and Educational programming to the airwaves and featuring area people and projects
- Engage community to participate in, learn and create their own media for broadcast
- Provide access to what is currently not available in the area
- Support and produce programming that explores what community radio can do